Monday, March 21, 2011

Off-the-peg-style in the 40's and 50's

One of my lovely customers lent me this amazing book 'Horrockses Fashions'. Horrockses primarily ran a cotton fabric company but after the WW2 decided to expand and release a range of ready to wear hostess gowns, beachwear & dresses. 
A 1940's advertisement for Horrockses, Crewdson & Co.'s sheets and towels.
An advertisement for an evening dress in 1953 'Lansil' jersey.
Many of the beautiful fabrics were designed by artists. Like this botanical print designed by Alastair Morton.
Pineapple & rose fabric design by Pat Albeck. This one of my favourites!
This one is by Pat Albeck too! love these fruit designs...
So beautiful a finely drawn rose pattern by Pat Albeck...
And last but not least this gorgeous novelty print from the children's range by Joyce Bradrocke! And this is just a few from the vast range of fabrics in this book.....
Leah x

1 comment:

  1. Leah, are you buying at the moment? Or I think I would prob prefer a store credit! I have a couple of dresses...let me know and I can drop in Thursday!

    ReplyDelete